Sexual Assault is any sexual contact or sexual attention committed by force, threats,
bribes, manipulation, pressure, tricks, or violence. Sexual assault includes rape,
attempted rape, and sexual harassment. There at two categories of rape: acquaintance
and/or stranger. In acquaintance rape the victim knows his/her rapist...it could be a
spouse, ex-spouse, friend, current or ex-boyfriend or just a casual acquaintance. In
stranger rape the victim does not know his/her rapist. For more information on sexual
assault or any of these topics please visit the
Alabama Coalition Against Rape
and RAINN websites.
Below are some statistics on sexual assault and rape.
- 1 in 3 females will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime
- 1 in 6 males will be sexually assaulted in his life, generally prior to the age of 18
- Only 7-16% of rapes are reported to the authorities. Sexual assaults in which the victim is male are reported even less frequently
- The majority of rape victims are between the ages of 17-34
- In 80% of all rapes, the victim knows the attacker
- Sexual gratification is not the primary motivating factor in rape. Rape is not a crime of passion It is a crime of violence in which the rapist physically assaults the victim using sex as the weapon. The rapist gains power and control or expresses anger and hostility through rape.
- 40% of rapists are married or have regular sex partners
- 80% of the time, the victim and the rapist are of the same race, the same socio-economic status and even the same educational level
- 65% of rapes occur in the victim's own home
- 57% of sexual assaults are rapes that happen within a dating relationship